What is a Barcol Hardness Impressor?
A Barcol Hardness Impressor is an instrument that measures the indentation hardness of soft metals (aluminum, aluminum alloys, copper, brass, etc.), harder plastics and fiber-reinforced plastics.
What are some typical applications for Barcol hardness?
- Aluminum production
- Forgings, castings, raw stock inspection
- FRP/GRP – fiber and glass reinforced plastics (both reinforced and non-reinforced rigid plastics)
- Duro or hard thermo plastics
- Degree of cure in composite materials
I currently use an analog (dial) type Barcol Impressor. What are the advantages of the digital PosiTector BHI?
The PosiTector BHI has numerous advantages over conventional analog instruments, and over many competitive digital instruments:
- Memory: The PosiTector BHI has the ability to save readings for archival or reporting, without the need for error-prone transcription. This greatly enhances the reliability and convenience of reporting.
- Reporting Software Options: The PosiTector BHI includes the PosiSoft suite of software for viewing and reporting data. Select from a powerful desktop version, built-in USB drive, web-based or mobile applications.
- Test Time: Some materials continue to deform while the measurement is being taken. To achieve consistent results, it is often recommended to record measurements after a set amount of time has elapsed. The PosiTector BHI allows users to set a test time, which begins counting down on the screen when the indentor is placed on the surface to be measured. After that period has elapsed, a measurement is recorded and displayed. This is vastly superior to existing methods of using a stopwatch, or more often, estimating when the required test time has elapsed.
- Auto Sub-Batch (Advanced models only): As with most measurement processes, it is advisable to take multiple measurements at each test location (spot), to ensure the user hasn’t taken an erroneous or outlying reading. With the Auto Sub-Batch feature, a new sub-batch is created after the desired number of measurements is taken, conveniently grouping readings from each location.
- Interchangeability: PosiTector body accepts all PosiTector BHI, SHD, 6000, 200, IRT, DPM, RTR, SPG, SST, and UTG probes easily converting from a hardness tester to a coating thickness gage, dew point meter, infrared thermometer, surface profile gage, soluble salt tester, or ultrasonic wall thickness gage.
How should I store the PosiTector BHI when not in use?
The PosiTector BHI comes complete with a hard shell plastic case.
What is the life expectancy of the probe tip?
The durable probe tip is designed for long life and continuous accuracy. A glass zero plate and test disks are included for verifying accuracy. Replacement probe tips are available to replace worn, out of tolerance tips.
Why is a glass zero plate included?
The PosiTector BHI is factory calibrated and for most applications no calibration adjustment is required. However, there may be times when a zero adjustment is necessary including after indentor replacement or to compensate for indentor wear. For best accuracy, the Gage should be zeroed on the included glass plate.
Can I purchase a new PosiTector BHI probe for an existing PosiTector gage body?
Yes. PosiTector BHI probes are compatible with PosiTector Standard gage bodies with a color display and PosiTector Advanced gage bodies with serial numbers greater than 730,000. You can simply update your existing PosiTector gage body by following step-by-step instructions at www.defelsko.com/update.
Does the PosiTector have a built in timer?
Yes! A stopwatch is required to measure the delay – this can be difficult to accomplish while holding a separate stopwatch.
Is the new PosiTector BHI probe compatible with PosiSoft solutions?
Yes. The NEW PosiTector BHI probes are compatible with PosiSoft Desktop v4, PosiSoft.net and the PosiTector App for Apple and Android. They are currently not compatible with the PosiTector SmartLink.
How are PosiTector BHI probes calibrated at DeFelsko?
Each PosiTector BHI probe is calibrated against known conditions using NIST traceable equipment. A Long Form Certificate of Calibration containing actual measured values is included with each probe.
How long is the warranty on the PosiTector BHI probe?
DeFelsko Corporation’s standard 2 year warranty applies.